Friday, March 31, 2017

Finally... secure



Yes! I have finally been able to secure everything and offer encrypted protection via SSL through my server. This process took me longer than I'd like to admit and should be fairly easy and straight-forward on most server environments. There are also ways, as I found out, to be able to do this for free, instead of having to pay some kind of certificate issuer or signing authority. 

While there exist ways to "self sign" certificates for a server, I still chose to use a third party to complete the process. If you also run a server, I recommend researching into letsencrypt, which assuming you have the proper Virtual Hosts set up with your HTTPD, like Apache2, then with a couple of configuration files and then a few CLI entries, you can be on your way to fully utilizing https:// - I've even gone an extra step and *forced* all connections to my server that attempt to use http:// to convert to https://.

Now I can finish working on some of the fun projects I had going before for some companies and even plan to launch a browser-based game soon. I have actually had it in development for a while in various incarnations, but will reveal more details about it in the near future. One of the recent stumbling blocks I had recently was enabling SSL... that and I tried to originally program the game to fully utilize AJAX techniques. I've limited their usage now, as they were crippling the development.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why require escalated permissions?

Moving stuff to my server and find it pretty strange that an open source software (not going to name any names), recently started attempti...